Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Test drive from...

Ok, so we are selling our car and we put it on the "lemon lot" on base yesterday and within hours we got a call, YEAH! We negotiated a little on price then agreed to have a test drive today. So this is how it went...

She shows up and looks 18, maybe19 and has a guy with her that is about the same age. I show her all the things she needs to know to drive it safely ie: mirror adjustment, seat adjustment etc. OH and did I mention it's about to open up and POOR rain, maybe even hail, so I show her the headlights and the windshield wipers. So I make sure I have her cell phone number and she has mine and then she asks about the sunroof and the stereo, how they work. Did I mention it's about to rain? She tells me she is new to the area so I suggest a route to go so she can get the feel for it, she looks at her passenger and asks if he knows that way, he looks at her and said something to the effect of "no but we will figure it out". So she shuts the door and flips open her cell phone and starts talking, it starts raining, and she gets ready to leave. She turns on the parking lights, not the headlights and then she stops to pick up another guy, yes about 18, and yes eating sunflower seeds, then she turns the car to leave the parking lot and is going about 40 by the time she gets to the stop sign. I could see this being a bad decision from the beginning but feel a little helpless because to sell the car, there has to be a test drive. Thought to myself: is it because I love this car, it symbolizes the youth I am about to trade for a minivan, or am I truly concerned that I may be getting the money we ask by way of insurance money after she totals the car. I think we all agree it's the later thought.

I call Aaron, thankfully he isn't busy and I can talk to him while this girl is taking a joy ride in the car with 2 other late teen guys. He reassures me that we are fully covered and that because she is in the military, we have some security in that as well.

OK lots of prayers later, she shows up, yeah, not from the direction I expect, later find out they got completely lost, they thought it was funny, I didn't. Then the negotiations begin. She is $2000 short of our bare minimum so the wheels start turning. She suggests the following... Maybe we can do a payment plan, she suggests, or maybe I can give you that amount now and when I get back from a deployment I leave for in October I can give you the rest later. Oh and by the way, I was planning on driving to Texas Friday to see my grandma, can I give you partial payment, take the car on Friday and then figure the rest out later? To be young and naive...

Needless to say, I am happy I have someone very interested in the car, but we need to let her

1 comment:

Holly said...

bad...very bad.
so? did you sell it to her? please tell me no!