Aaron has a desk job, for the first time in the Air Force. (We've been in for 10 1/2 years already.) The job is really challenging, and Aaron being Aaron has risen to the occasion and has done a fabulous job of making the job better because he's taken the helm. When he first got this job, it was explained that everyone has to eat their veggies, this is great for growth, but it's not very fun. He flies on occasion, but not as often as he would like, he really misses that freedom, especially during exercises and inspections.
I have those moments that I think "I am in Japan!?!" It's also really difficult to believe this is the longest I've been away from family and the beloved USA and the English language. I have appreciated how difficult it is to learn a new language-not Spanish-the only other language I know (kinda). My only frame of reference for this language was the 80's hit "Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto", which was not very helpful because I kept forgetting to stop at the comma and keep going through the entire title while saying "Thank you".
Sarah has had the most to miss back in the states. She misses Molly, our dog she adores, had to give up horse back riding, her one true love, and her best friend Olivia. She is a sensitive soul so this has been really hard and she still gets emotional when we talk about Molly and her life back in Arkansas. We've seen her go through a huge transformation from little girl to one that has taken on the responsibility of kindergarten. Thanks to Mrs Comp, she has gained maturity and confidence, and has become a leader in her classroom with her encouragement. She is reading, which is so cool! I worried and considered all our options and am thrilled with her school and especially her teacher.
Sophie is going through the terrible 2's lately, it's been difficult to see this, but I think we are staying on top of it and holding our ground. She is stubborn and fearless, something we aren't very accustom to, but she is a great kid nonetheless. She is spunky to say the least!
Aaron and I had to keep repeating "hinney on the linney" while driving so we could remember which side of the center-line to stay on while driving. The blinkers and wipers are also reversed so we did lots of "Yokota waves", using the wipers instead of the blinkers at intersections. We've braved the detailed train and subway system, and won. We've ordered sushi, eaten squid, octopus, cuddle fish and general Japanese mystery meat. We've fallen in love with Geocaching, gotten room darkening shades for bedrooms, (sunrise in the summer is 4am) and learned how to speak a little bit of survival Japanese.
The things we miss:
- Friends and family, goes without saying, but I would get nasty emails if I didn't. We really do miss all our peeps back in the states.
- I personally miss Target, Barnes and Noble and clothing sizes that fit the average American instead of the freakishly tiny Japanese.
- Taking 20 minutes to go 15 miles instead of 2 hours to go the same distance.
- American restaurants: Panera Bread Company (you know how true this is Heather) and On the Border.
- Knowing how to navigate streets without fear of getting extremely lost.
- Japanese people really are some of the greatest people ever. They are so respectful and helpful. We are so blessed to live among such a gracious culture.
- Our friend we've made, for me the special blessing of having Tomei living next door with her mastery of 3 languages so I can learn things like "where's the bathroom", and "excuse me" and "I'm sorry". She has a special place in my heart.
- SUSHI, SUSHI, SUSHI! Sarah loves it and has become skilled at ordering for herself and using chopsticks. She uses her chopsticks at home for everything included Eggos. I think she's part Japanese. She is fearless and much more adventurous than I when it comes to trying something new.
- Japanese bikes, big comfy seat and places for the kids to ride along, what's not to love.
- Flowers, cherry blossoms, Japanese alps, really this is an incredibly beautiful country, we are so blessed to live in one of God's most beautiful places in the world.
Things we've done this past year:
- Tokyo Tower and 3-D art museum -Thumbs up
- New Sanno (military hotel in the heart of Tokyo)- Thumbs up
- Tama Hills (recreation area in the mountains)-Thumbs up
- Tokyo Disney -Thumbs up!!
- Hiked to the top of Mt Fuji - Thumbs way up!!
- Sumo wrestling Tournament - Thumbs up, very cool!
- Successfully managed the mass transportation system (google Tokyo subway map image, and you will see what victory looks like) - No thumbs up- just Phew...
- More geocaching
- Sapporo Snow Festival
- Kyoto
- New Zealand (hopefully)
- China (hopefully)
- Ski the Japanese Alps
- Sled Mt Fuji
- Okinawa (look out Ric and Marji-we really will end up there for a visit)
- The list is long...
.jpg)
3 comments:
Oh, you guys are making so many memories and we love reading about them! We are mostly happy though because you love it there and have made it home! We miss you, Olivia sees pics of her own self and says "Sarah", she has become Sarah now that she can't see her, I guess they really became one! I say that is Olivia, but she says Sarah. We just pretend you guys still live across the street but have agoraphobia! I think my daughter may live in the same state of denial that I do! Seriously, We love and miss you all, and we must really get together while the girls still recognize each other! Heather, Olivia
I love your blog! You are very funny Amanda. I feel blessed to have you in my life:)
sounds amazing. I hope we can have a similar experience someday :)
Post a Comment