Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Parenting, wow...

Have you ever wondered where the day goes? What happens you your energy and the kids seem to have a never ending supply? How when you move from one room to the next, by the time you get to the last room, the first is messy again. It's like the spinning plates. I know I'm talking to myself here, I know each and every one of you have a very ordered life with all your little ducklings in a row, so this may be a foreign concept to you all, so I will tell you it's frustrating and monotonous. BUT I will also tell you that it's getting easier!! Yes, really, it is!! The kids can make their own bed, take responsibility for their own stuff AND they really like cleaning the bathrooms, toilets are their favorite. (I'm really not joking, they love watching the water turn blue and  making the bubbles happen when they flush.) I realize how strangely blissful that is and I count my blessings!

We are kind of in a great bubble of life these days, days where we don't struggle with teen angst and rebellion, that we have the sweetness of discovering new things together and the maturity to take some responsibility for things. I don't really struggle with the "I can't wait until they can do ____ for themselves", or "I can't wait until they are old enough to ______ without me"...  well, not any more so much. It's so funny how everyone says to cherish the moments and all the time we have with the kids because they grow up so fast. I always felt pressure with this immanency. I felt parenting was this urgency to squeeze every last bit of them and their emerging personalities into one day and then do it all again the next day and the next for 18 years, and if you have two kids, or three... Wow, that is so much pressure!  What would we do with ourselves if we didn't compare ourselves with others, what would happen if we didn't "keep up with the Jones's" so much and tried to keep up with ourselves.

I love our family, I love the kids who call me "mom". I see their personalities, their quirks and their likes and dislikes. We are all intertwining ourselves into each other and it's a fun thing to watch. And their dad!?! Seriously, I picked a winner when I said "yes" to that man...


No comments: