Saturday, March 20, 2010

There's a reason for that.

So here's the deal. I've been wearing glasses since I was 6, contacts since 14 and the Dr said I was legally blind when I was 10. Bottom line, I can't see very well. I remember being equal parts excited and leery when I heard about LASIK the first time. As bad as my eyes were, they were still correctable so I didn't really give it much thought.

Time went on and the procedure seemed to be gaining popularity because of it's success, still leery, I waited. My great friends Joy and Kim took the plunge 6 months ago and I sat back to see the results and see if they would recommend it. My Christmas present from Aaron was LASIK, my friends had a great experience and it worked really well for them.

In order for me to consider this I had to have 2 things: A place that does so many procedures, that this is a normal thing for them to mess with eyes, the other thing was that it had to be something we could afford financially. So here we are, with a place that does almost 700,000 surgeries a year (done by the freakishly exacting Japanese doctors that speak English) and with the total cost being a little over $1700 total for everything, it seemed this was the time.

So I had some things I couldn't do for awhile, computers, TV, reading, exercising, makeup, stuff that would potentially damage the healing process. The procedure itself was painful, I attribute that to the nurse that forgot to put enough numbing medication in the eyes, the day was miserable, but I could sleep after 4 hour so I did just that. The next day I was sore, but they felt so much better and my eyesight was so, SO much better, not perfect, but I was told it would take a few days to settle, so I wasn't worried.

Follow-ups are a giant part of the process and I had a visit the next day. My eyesight went from 20/700 to 20/30! SO AMAZING!! I went in for my one week follow-up and I had improved to 20/12, it's unreal!

So here I sit, still putting endless lists of eye drops in my eyes, because I have information on my left eye, as the Dr explained, but all is well and healing beautifully. (FYI: not a typo- the Dr really did say I have information on my eye, he really meant inFLAmation, but it took a little bit for me to figure that out!!)Pretty funny!



I couldn't wear my contacts for the week before or the week after surgery, I was told.
My thoughts: OK, my glasses give me a headache sometimes, but that will be fine, last week I have to wear them if it all works out.
Second thought: If I have to wear contacts the week after surgery, I'm gettin' some money back.
So here I am the morning of surgery, sportin the glasses one last time.

Nope, not gonna smile.
(we were on the train going to my first of many follow-ups)

Well, maybe a little

I had to wear glasses the first week anytime I was outside, but I'd like to think I look like a celebrity!
Picture says a 1000 words, this one has lots of emotions that go along with it!

I can see, really see, without something between my eyes and the rest of the world, that feels REALLY, REALLY great!

2 comments:

Bierman Adventures said...

Yeah!!!!! I can't wait to hear how they continue to improve!

Heather said...

Amanda - I'm happy for you that it went well!