It's so hard to feel homesick when this is so close to where we live. The mountain girl in me can live anywhere as long as there are mountains. Mountains are my home...So here's the thing. This is traditional rice pounding. They hollow out a stump and make a mallet (very heavy mallet) and one person pounds the rice and the other turns it so that it all comes out smooth. First he demonstrates, then asks for slave laborers (um, volunteers) to help.
Although a little menacing here, she is a sweetheart for sure.
Yeah, more fun to make than eat, just saying...

Onsen (hot spring) for the feet.
Lets just say that traditional onsens are very umm, light on clothing...
I have to say that after going to a traditional onsen for a Woman's Retreat is one of the most personal and awkward things I've ever done. But now I can say I've done it and even though it wasn't on my list, I can say I've checked that box...


.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment