Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Momma just got schooled

Hmm, yeah, and by a 4 year old.

I noticed she was carrying a basket around the house today with bread in it so I asked her about it. She said it was for hungry people.

So we went to the computer, found a food bank with a list, printed the list and she collected so more things. I looked up the address, very close to us ironically, and we loaded up her and her basket and took off.

I was asked by the guys on the loading dock if I had a donation and I told them "no" and pointed at my little Sophie and said she was the one donating to the hungry people.

OK, I have to admit I was crying a little, I could not believe my little girl has such a great big heart! Actually I can, and I could NOT have been more proud of her.

She got a XL food bank t-shirt and 3 beach balls from 4 giant teddy bear sized gentle men who may (or may not have) had some tears in their eyes as well.

She wondered why people are hungry and I gave her the adult reasons about not being able to have jobs or not enough money to spend on enough food for their families. Finally I gave her the kid answer "some people just don't have food in their house".

"Oh", she said. That made sense to her.

I am so proud of her, thinking about others and caring enough to spend time taking the meal I was planning on serving for tonight and sending them to someone who could REALLY use the meal.

Umm, humm, momma got taught... (and loved every second!!)

“Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve…you don’t have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. And you can be that servant.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: