Sunday, September 2, 2007

So, how's it going?

It was so much fun turning the calendar this month. It's hard to believe August is in the books, but it's even better when the first month of a deployment is behind us. (Actually, to be honest, it's only a partial month since he left on the 11th, but for coping abilities, it's been a month!)

By far, the most common question asked, accompanied with raised eyebrows and a sympathetic look, is "how's it going?" I usually say"fine" or " we are coping" or"I'm tired", but after a great sermon encouraging us to be more specific to those who are sincerely asking so they can specifically help, I will answer to you that we are doing fine. God has given me extra strength to handle things that might ordinarily make me loose my mind! Things like Sarah not listening when I have asked her repeatedly to do something, when Sophie is crying for what seems like endless hours, and when Molly wakes up the entire house with her barking at 1 am.

I have had many offers to babysit, actually so many that I can't remember who's asked and have forgotten already that I had prearranged to have the girls go somewhere and I get a phone call asking where they were. I am always coming home from church with phone numbers of angels that have offered to help, and at our latest Women's Ministry get together, a bubble bath set from another blessed soul with her phone number expecting me to call her so I can soak in the bath when I next need it.

Of course, there are my parents and in-laws that have, in their own way, made it easier for me even if they are in Colorado and we remain in Arkansassy! My mom has started a card drive for me, I figured something was up when my mailbox started filling with card from distant relatives saying how much they were praying for me. Then a phone call from Frances, my mother-in-law, asking if we had a play place in our McDonald's because she is going to get gift cards so I can take Sarah there (thanks Nana, I think). She also asked where I would like my gift card! Yeah!

There have been so many people I need to thank for this support, our neighbors are high on the list of people who have shown their support. Heather, for her constant friendship, Brent and Terry, who have our yard taken care of, the handyman Lindsey, who has already helped with our ailing sprinkler system, you can see the list can go on forever.

One of the best things so far, however, is the invention of Satellite Internet! Some really brilliant guy in the squadron spent many months getting the blessing from the powers that be, to get the equipment set up so the guys can have better, more consistent, more controlled access to communication with families. God bless him where ever he is because with the help of Skype, an internet chat and video phone service, web cams and a laptop for Aaron, we are able to SEE him and he us! Our moods have all shifted from surviving to thriving. Sarah did a 180, actually we all did, and we can talk to him as long as we are able! Gone are the days of getting two 10 minute phone calls a week, at least on this deployment anyway.

So with all this support and a husband that adores all his girls, we are doing well. God is great and mightily showing that we are loved! It's because of Him and the angels He has sent that we are doing so well. Thank you all for your unbelievable support!

2 comments:

Holly said...

ok, so how long is this one?

Anonymous said...

Well, that has made me cry! I feel really special to be your friend and to know you and your family! I feel like I have not been here for you though these last two weeks with our out of town trip, we are back and I am here for you as I know you are me! Lots of love sent your way, The Woods, Heather, Brent, and Olvia