Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pre-move purge


Cleaning the cupboard of expired foods looks like this...

FOUR bags of wasted food!!
Clearly the starving children still live in Africa.
I feel glutinous and embarrassed at our waste.
Sophie the resident marshmallow tester.


Our shelves after the expiration date purge. Ah, breathe with me and feel the accomplishment with me, listen to the birds sing, feel the sun shining on our faces, let the joy of a job well done wash over us. (OK, I've gone a little too far)The expiration date winner
Pork Helper
YUCK!! Why did I even by this in the first place.
The date... 20 Oct 2004
We moved in June 2004 and if you were wondering if I threw out the box tops, I did, they are expired as well. Who knew.

At this stage of the moving process, I find myself cutting back on groceries and tightening spending and considering what I need versus what I want, more than usual, because where is all the extra stuff going to end up?

I am ashamed to say that I was watching an Oprah show, bad little conservative, and was watching a show about organization. This is right up my alley because usually this kind of thing makes me feel good about my house cleaning and maintaining skills. I am a true guru compared to these fellow Americans that fail miserably at keeping their house clean and their kids spotless. I actually learned something, let the humbling begin as there is always room for improvement. (My house is usually a mess of toys and my kids can sometimes be confused as orphans). Anyway, they suggested spending literally 10 minutes or less on one cabinet, throw out what you haven't used in the last 12 months then you restructure and reorganize whats left. It's so easy when you can only do 1 cabinet or closet or shelf of a closet at a time. So that is what we did, and it felt so good. I just wonder how much we ate that expired already, it's probably a good thing I don't.

No comments: