Sunday, May 3, 2009

2009 Mrs Yokota Pageant


I was approached on 3 separate occasions to be apart of the Mrs Yokota pageant this year, figured I would give it a shot and see what happened. (I figured if they left it up to the contestants to volunteer for participation, it was their own fault because I say yes to lots of fun things) So it was so much fun, no swimming suits, no talent contest (guess they figure if you are married to someone in the military, that was talent enough) although we had to do something in athletic gear.

There was a total of 19 contestants, we did some dancing (and for the first time in my life I have been made a member of a dance troup, whoda guessed my uncoordiated feet could get me a membership like that, but I'll take it), some struttin our stuff in a fashion show and then got to show off and evening gown.

The competition was amazing and I was out in the first round, but honestly, it was so much fun that the initial disappointment was quickly traded for the realization that I have 18 new incredible new friends.

The night was so amazing, it was great to be cheered for and it was a great lesson for my perfectionist traped in a 5 year old body that winning isn't everything. She told me this morning that she was sorry I didn't win as she was holding back tears and we talked about how I did my best and didn't win, but now have great friends and really great memories. I also explaned that being up on stage like that was something that was hard for me to do, but I did it and it felt great. That made me a winner and it was a special thing. She seemed to understand and made her feel better. She was carrying around my participation statue all day today and showing it off. That was the best part of the entire experience, seeing her being proud of her ol mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are still # 1 in our hearts1!
Mom G