Well, I knew one day it would come, a situation that I would need a friend of a friend to get me what I needed. Although it was something easy to do in the US, here, well, things are so much harder.
I have a pair of diamond earrings, nothing fancy, just stud earrings that I found again while I was looking for my wedding band. Can you hear the theme music to "Dallas" now-Amanda missing all her priceless diamonds... Anyway, I found the earring, but not the back. No problem, I will go to the BX and find a replacement, I thought. Hmm, yeah, I hate to use such strong emotions to sum up that experience, but suffice it to say the are complete IDIOTS! How can it be so hard to explain to someone WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH! to show her an earring with a back and an earring without a back and not be able to figure out what I'm talking about. Idiots... Already said that, you're right.
So we travel to Costco, I have been assured it's a little piece of American commercialism in the heart of Japan, and yes, we are slowly investing cellulite into the Japanese culture one Costco and McDonald's at a time. Wait-where was I? Ah, Costco-thanks-anyway I ask if they have anything like what I was looking for and sure enough, the nice Japanese man behind the counter said they didn't have anything like that here, but asked if I was familiar with a mall located near the base. Hello!! I know polite when I see it, asking an American woman if I know where the local mall is-please... Anyway, look for this particular store and they will have what I'm looking for. YEAH!! Such a nice young man-insert a grandma voice with fingers pinching his cheek...
So today, I was forced to go shopping at the mall to look for a jeweler, aaawww, I know, such is life, and they had just what I needed, imagine that. Only because the Japanese are way smarter, they cover the end of their earring backs with silicone so it's soft when you sleep in your jewelery. Yep, there smart ones for sure. So I buy a back, after much unintelligible Japanese spoken to me and a couple of choices displayed for me, I walk out with an earring back and earrings on. All is happy in my ears.
Then I went to buy some bread from the bakery and totally screwed it up-but I looked good doing it with my earrings on!
FYI:I can do the Japanese hurried run and I can pretend I know what someone is saying to me when in reality they could have just said they ate my children... Just so you know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
If it ever happens again, I've seen metal earring backs at the 100 yen store...
Post a Comment