Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Eating Elephants

The old joke goes: How do you eat and elephant? One bite at a time.

This last month has been a chance for us to eat some elephants. We have had some major decisions laid at our feet with serious prayer, thought and discussion required to make choices for our family.

The first one was our next assignment. With no official orders in hand we are hopeful that Japan will be our next assignment. I remember when I married Aaron, it was with the stipulation that I would not move there so don't ask. God puts us in places that are outside our comfort zone, this would be a huge step for me, but I am excited. We are expecting orders anytime and will be in Japan by January. Normally I would be nervous about all the stuff to do, sell the house, the van, the truck, find a home for Molly, etc, but when you eat elephants, you take one bite at a time. We are praying for wisdom with our next step and take one step at a time. Does this mean we don't have 30 lists of things to do and questions to ask? Well, no, I haven't grown that much, but I am happy to say I am not as neurotic as I used to be.

Our second major decision has been about taking a bonus the Air Force offers for pilots to stay in. We would trade $25,000 a year for the next 5 years in exchange for that amount of commitment to the Air Force. We have been debating this for about a year and as we've prayed, discussed, weighed our options, lived vicariously through those trying to get out of the military and looking at the current economy and job situation, we have decided to stay a little longer in the strange, busy, sometimes frustrating, always political world of the military. Was the money the only draw with a decision like this? It would be if we decided to take the money and blow it, but when you think of the options and how much we could advance our kids college funds and our retirement investments, it seems less about the money and more about the opportunities for the future for all in our family.

Aaron asked me if I were nervous about committing for another couple of years in the military and I can honestly say it's easier for me than getting out. It sounds strange to know that the unpredictable world of the military is comforting to me and with the exception of deployments, the military life has been great. I love meeting all new friends while keeping up with families we've known for a long time.

So for now, we are done eating elephants, at least for today.




2 comments:

Holly said...

I think I could have written that exact same post!
(well, except for the specifics of course...like "Japan"....you lucky dog ;-)

The Smiths said...

WE are so excited for all of your big changes as of lately! :)