Thursday, October 18, 2007

Funny Things

I am sometimes struck by funny things people say, ironic timing or simply strange things that happen. Most of these are provided to my by my irreplaceable Sarah, but this vacation brought on some things that just make me laugh so I thought I would share.

*Our trip from Denver, where we flew into, and Grand Junction, our final destination, is about 250 miles. On a good day with good weather, it takes about 4 hours, I was expecting it to take about 6 with the girls needing breaks and such. My brother-in-law graciously lent his big mamma-jamma truck to take from Denver to GJ, which was wonderful. I knew we were in trouble when our first stop was 30 miles outside Denver and it lasted about 45 minutes. Right then and there, I realized I was in for a LONG day. I was right, it took 8 hours and my parents to bail me out of a very stressful drive.

* We stay in my parents RV when we come home, it cuts down considerably on the madness and keeps people from getting too overwhelmed. This trip it seems that it was a constipated RV. Later, we come to find out that the RV black water tank was not plugged, thank goodness, visual of the "how to un-stick a holding tank filled with things we as humans are trying to get rid of", well, not pleasant, nor a job many would volunteer for. Turns out a piece of arrant toilet paper made itself home around the sensor. YEAH for all involved in that process of "elimination". (got to admit, that pun was funny :-) )

*We were getting ready to drive back to Denver on Saturday. My parents, very humbly offered to help drive us girls back to Denver in case we had a repeat of our trip from Denver to Grand Junction. Thanks again. My dad, who is a mechanic, likes to do an inspection of the vehicles before we start out across the hills, got done looking at the truck and decided it was good to go. He moved onto mom's car, which on a good day is tired and ready to be retired, notices that the accelerator is stuck and will not "un-stick". Yes, this is the same car I plan on strapping my babies into and hurl ourselves headlong into an approaching winter storm. He decides to take it for a drive around the block to see if it will fix itself of if we need to resort to a plan B. Well, when the accelerator is stuck, it is fun to see it go into gear. Off he goes, squealing tires and all, around the neighborhood. He gets back and apparently his little drive did the trick, but dad gets out and says, "look like its fixed, you guys drive that and I will follow in the truck". Thanks.

* We get back home, Heather, who is so great, greets us at the airport with a "welcome home" sign (a first for mommy) helps us with the luggage off the carousel and into the van (mini-vans are cool now, according to Heather, all you need is a pair of big sunglasses, some bling and there you go) and we notice we have a parking ticket given to us by a cop who apparently has too much time on his hands, and who now has a lot to think about after Heather got through with him, you go girl! She says on the way home, " I have something to say that I think is funny, but you may not." Apparently our tree in the front yard was rotten, should have listened to Gloria instead of be so optimistic that it was fine, and Brent came over to look at it and gave it a little push to see if it was stable, fell down at his feet. Wow, he's strong! Well, I thought it was funny. Now we have this stump, small as it may be, sticking out of our front lawn.

Well, I feel like I have done enough to completely bore you. We had a great time, and are glad to be home with our own beds. Thanks to everyone for their hospitality, it was fun to see all of you.
Remember: rumor has it that airplanes occasionally fly into Arkansassy, so if you loose a bet, come on down and see us. We would love to have you visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel like my life is the only abnormal, fast-paced life that exists, but you girls make me find humor in it and let me know I am not alone! Sorry if that makes you feel worse, that was not my intent, it is nice to know that our bond is one well needed! We love you all, The Woods (p.s. I am not through with the rent-a-cop yet)!

Anonymous said...

make me proud girl!

Amanda