Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It's backfired

So I had this plan about 3 weeks ago after we had another epic battle with Sarah not wanting to go to bed. The battle increases as she progressively gets more tired. My plan turned into our plan which turned into the hard and fast, no exceptions rule that has been working like a charm. Here it is: Sophie to bed at 8 or earlier, Sarah no later than 8:30!

I noticed a trend that actually has it's own cliche. I remember it now, it seems to go something like this: early to bed, early to rise. The more consistent bedtime became the earlier they woke up. It slowly started moving from 7:30-8 am to 7-7:30, and now this morning 6 am was the magic number. I am not what they call an early riser, apparently I used to be but I think college cured that notion. Sarah already knows that I am not my normal cheerful self in the o'dark30 hours of daylight. Sophie is unaware and even after battling wills with my soon to be 10 month, I think she is still unaware.

Our day has not gone well, Sophie went down for a nap at what used to be morning time: 8am and I was smart enough to turn on a movie for Sarah and take a nap myself. I would not be as tired normally if Sophie SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! Good grief girl, honestly. To top it off, Aaron had a night flight so he finally slipped under the covers at 4:30. These are the mornings when keeping a child silent triggers screams and yells and throws and slams. AHH!

Sarah seems to wake up hungry, at least she says so when it's very early in the morning, but after I get her her breakfast, she seems to not be hungry and just sleepily stares at it. OK, if you are going to get me up so early, EAT YOUR BREAKFAST. This probably wouldn't happen if she ate her DINNER the night before.

Sarah is ever more hooked on Hannah Montana. I don't get it and thankfully she has chosen her and not Brittany or well anyone else. Yesterday while taming the crazy hair I ask if she would like a barrette, "no" she says, "why not I ask", "Hannah Montana doesn't wear them". Then getting in the van later in the day, she said "This is a Hannah Montana van, she rocks this place".
She is stuck somewhere between Cinderella and Hannah Montana. It's a confusing time, but I think Hannah is going to win out in the near future and princess stuff will be relegated to Sophie's age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, sounds like an eventful, restless day. I don't like it when they get up before the sun does either. It seems like they know when it is a school day and when it is not. Hope this finds you girls somewhat rested, Heather

Anonymous said...

Bless you Amanda! It sounds like a great concept (structure and routine). I know Olivia thrives on it! Just embrace it, they grow up so fast and then all we have is our sweet memories. Your children are so precious and special to me, and the Wood family (especially Olivia). No matter where life takes us or you guys, you will always be in our hearts and memories! We love you all!! (I can't believe how sweet Sophie has grown and how much she looks like Sara!!!
Love and hugs to you all,
Granny Peg