Sunday, April 27, 2008

Oh, the 80's

Last night, Aaron and I watched the last of "The Wedding Singer", very 80's inspired movie, so then I got to thinking about what it was like growing up in the 80's. These are some of my memories of that era.

The music: Listening to KSTAR radio, it was the coolest radio station in town. We would have our "boom-boxes" on our shoulders walking around like we were something. The music was classic: Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cindi Lauper, Prince...

The Moves: Remember Break dancing!?! We all tried that "spinning on your head" move at least once to find out that really hurts. My brother tried really hard to perfect his "worm" and the "moon walk". I think the only one I would be able to try is the moon walk now, I don't think my body would do the others without a trip to the ER.

The HAIR: OH my, can't talk about the 80's without the hair! Sideways pony-tails, crimped hair, teased bangs, spiral perms, AQUANET! One whiff of that stuff brings me back. Who knows what we did to the ozone growing up with that cement!

The clothes: Starting from head to toe: The sunglasses- aviators, or those crazy black or red ones with the leather things on the sides and those "cool" sun glass straps. The shirts: Either tie dyes, checker board flannel with white, red, green or teal blocks, or plain ol' NEON! For the legs? Parachute pants, rolling up our acid washed jeans and rolling down our 2 pairs of socks, the thicker the roll, the cooler the girl! and for our shoes: Converse All Stars and Jellies...

The Lingo: Radical, Awesome, totally tubular (that might have just been our region of dorkiness) gnarly, and we are having a "blast"

The movies: ET (my first movie in a drive in), Babysitters Club, Ferris Bueller, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones to name some of the memorable ones

TV: MIAMI VICE! need I say more...


Those of us in that group that remember these things well? We are special...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait till the 80's makes its comeback! Wait, I think I never let go of it anyways so I will maybe finally be back in style again! Heather